Bjørn Are Stølen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 09:23:25 EST 2010

The length of the cutting edge is actually a major factor. Imaging how many times you'd have to saw a loaf of bread if the blade was same sharpness as your 25cm edge breadknife, only 75 cm cuttinglength instead. In the clip here, the cleaving of the deer carcass have nothing to do with the strength of the wielder, or the sharpness of the blade (well it's obviously sharp, but a relatively blunt sword can cut as easily as in this movie). The reason why the longsword can cut like this and not a dagger is the bladelength:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4j3mvrDyQ