[Runequest] FW: Is weapon damage too high?

Bjørn Are Stølen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:24:37 EST 2010

IMO the dagger in Rune Quest have been the medieval stiletto/rondell-thingie, and that the d4+2 is to give it armor-piercing values that simulates it's actual capassities. I've tested my rondell-dagger against riveted chainmail with padding beneath, and it can go through, somthing you can forget with a bowie-knife, etc. My rondell-dagger weighs around 700gram, is about 35 cm long and looks a bit like this: http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/images/dagRondelI.jpg IMO the d4+2 is IMO realistic if you interpret the dagger as a stiletto. If you use the stiletto against an unarmed target, it would doo too much damage compared to other weapons of similar size. Perhaps if one had to decide when buying a dagger wether it is an anti-armor-dagger or a slashing-dagger, and only apply the d4+2 value to either of the abilities, things would work out without  having to alter the rules so much. Say you go for the stiletto, you get the knife-statistic in a slashing/unarmed setting, but get the d4+2 against armed opponents, and vice versa, if you buy somthing like this (skramaseax from dark-ages, like this one: http://www.helsinki.fi/~pjojala/Iron_Age_knife_dagger_skramasax_Medieval.jpg -you get the d4+2 against unarmed opponents, but only the d3 against armor. That way you don't get the sort of super-chainsaw-stiletto-fantasy-blade the dagger is in RQ3.