[Runequest] Time and Skill Increases in RuneQuest III

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Apr 28 00:59:25 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 13:02 +0800, Gary Sturgess wrote:
> On 27 April 2010 02:16, Phil Hibbs <snarks at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you want to apply the training mechanic to POW, then there's
> > already a system for training stats. The rules state you can't train
> > POW, but you can ignore that if you want. I wouldn't want to replace
> > "you can't train POW" with "POW is ridiculously easy to train if you
> > have a Disrupt spell".

The training stats suggestion is the right yardstick for difficulty, but
I must wonder whether it is plausible that one's
spiritual/divine/essence connection is something that is trained or
rather experienced through epiphany.

Maybe POW training could consist of going out into the desert and
fasting for forty days and forty nights :)

> What I think RQ is missing - and basically most RPG systems - is skill
> deterioration. I was a black belt at Judo when I was 18, but I doubt
> 20 years after giving it up I'd still be considered that level of
> skill (ignoring for the moment the significant decline in my physical
> condition ;) ).

I included in the Rolemaster Companion which ICE published (RMC VI,
section 6.5). To translate it into RQ 3e terms would be:

1. Assess which skills the character hasn't used "often" or "recently"
in the past year (yes, subjective assessment).
2. Roll under 75% + (INT+POW-20)
3. If roll is failed, -1d6% from the skill rating

> But while realistic I'm not sure this would actually be fun.

It wasn't too onerous for adventurer-types...