[Runequest] Time and Skill Increases in RuneQuest III

Gary Sturgess gazza666 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 15:02:45 EST 2010

On 27 April 2010 02:16, Phil Hibbs <snarks at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to apply the training mechanic to POW, then there's
> already a system for training stats. The rules state you can't train
> POW, but you can ignore that if you want. I wouldn't want to replace
> "you can't train POW" with "POW is ridiculously easy to train if you
> have a Disrupt spell".

Well, it's never going to be exactly hard. I mean, sure, they
shouldn't get POW gain rolls for non-stressful situations, but an
adventurer's life is generally filled with plenty of valid stressful
situations. I was more interested that they were apparently getting
daily POW gain checks - I thought (possibly unjustified by rules
anywhere) that the basic unit of experience checks and the like was a
week?

What I think RQ is missing - and basically most RPG systems - is skill
deterioration. I was a black belt at Judo when I was 18, but I doubt
20 years after giving it up I'd still be considered that level of
skill (ignoring for the moment the significant decline in my physical
condition ;) ). Skills that aren't used in real life tend to atrophy -
not completely, of course (an expert 20 years out of the game doesn't
become a rank novice), but it isn't insignificant either. The higher
the level of skill the more training you should need just to overcome
atrophy.

But while realistic I'm not sure this would actually be fun.
--
GAZZA