[Runequest] Time and Skill Increases in RuneQuest III

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 01:56:39 EST 2010

> > Training hours includes skill bonus, doesn't it?
>
> Not that I recall.
>
> I have always operated that skill bonuses (rather like equipment bonuses
> or weapon base chances etc) are independent of training skill
> percentages.
>
> YGMV.
I have a RQ campaign where we didn't have frequent play times and I wanted
them to advance fairly rapidly so:
Training d6-1 or 2
Skill d6 or 3
Checks are rolled against your basic skill (without mods) and you ADD your
skill bonus to the roll.  So yes, even if you have 100+ skill chance, you
always have 4%+ skill bonus (96-00 always fails) to increase.
one check for a success, two for a special, three for a crit or a fumble.

This is pretty much everything in the players' favor, throttle down from
there to taste.

Plus my players tend to always try to disrupt SOMETHING (even each other) so
they get just about a POW gain roll every day, which to me is staggeringly
overpowered (in terms of the stacks and stacks of rune magic they can
thereby accumulate) but I can't really figure out how to logically disable
that.