[Runequest] Three different topics.

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Fri Apr 23 01:14:13 EST 2010

On 22-Apr-10, at 7:34 AM, <strobus at sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  I'm no weapons expert, but it seems to me the only advantage a sword
> has over a spear is that the sword might have a guard to protect the
> hand (if it's a late enough model), whereas I've never seen a spear
> that did.

Yes and no. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. With a
sword, the hand guard is a plus, to be sure, and there are also
advantages to the balance, grip and stance one uses with a sword which
can facilitate effective parries. With a spear, the length (including
the fact that pretty much the whole shaft is available as a grip) can
be used to advantage.

One-handed, it's true, spears are a little harder to parry with, but
the only reason I can imagine using a spear one-handed is if your other
hand is occupied with a shield, in which case you shouldn't really need
to be parrying with the spear. Or if your other hand is incapacitated,
but I think we should realistically expect disadvantages to follow
that.