[Runequest] Three different topics.

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Thu Apr 22 14:20:27 EST 2010

On 21-Apr-10, at 6:12 PM, royce at efn.org wrote:

> Hi, Guys,
>    If I may impose I have three things I'd like to throw it into one
> email.
>
> 1.  A question on parries.
>    In RQ, parrying with a spear and parrying with a sword are equally
> practical.  Is this realistic?

Oh yes. Spears are very usable as parrying weapons. Funny you should
mention this, as I was just reviewing a video today taken a couple of
summers ago, when I was fighting a friend of mine with padded spears.
(PVC pipe with foam swimming noodle tips.)  In my view (I also fence
epee at the local fencing club), spears are every bit as good as swords
for parrying, though of course it depends what you're fighting against.

> 2.  A question on RQ III vs. 2nd edition BRP.  The RQ III rule of
> flexible
> armor giving only half protection against crushing attacks (e.g. a
> mace).
> BRP instead has a stun result for special hits with crushing weapons.
> Which rule do you prefer, and why?

Not sure I prefer either. I've been tinkering around with various house
rule alternatives. One variant I've tried incorporates something like
fatigue points as damage as well, though it's a bit unwieldy.