[Runequest] Character Improvement (was Re: Divine Intervention in RuneQuest)

Gary Sturgess gazza666 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:33:38 EST 2009


2009/10/21 Lev Lafayette <lev at rpgreview.net>:
> There is less chance of a skill increasing, but there is more chance of
> getting an experience check. At low levels, there is a greater
> likelihood of getting a skill increase, but less chance of getting an
> experience check. At the middle they're about average. Overall it would
> seem that the each successful application of a skill has the same chance
> (e.g., low = 5% chance of tick + 95% chance of increase, medium = 50%
> chance of tick + 50% chance of increase, high = 95% chance of tick + 5%
> chance of success).

Unfortunately that reasoning is flawed. You will, in general, get many
more attempts to get an experience check than you will to get a skill
increase, and you only have to succeed once. This is especially true
with combat skills, of course.

As an aside: let's say you have 30% Fist Attack. You successfully
sneak up behind someone, and attack them (+20% to chance, according to
RQ3). You roll 49.

Obviously you succeed, but do you get an experience check? RQ3 seems
silent on this issue, which would imply that you do (the only
requirement RQ3 enforces is that you succeed, after all). My group
have tended to rule that you only get the check if you would have
succeeded without the modifier, but I'm not really sure it's
necessary.
-- 
GAZZA



More information about the Runequest mailing list