[Runequest] Character Improvement (was Re: Divine Intervention in RuneQuest)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Oct 21 06:51:08 EST 2009


On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 13:25 +0000, strobus at sympatico.ca wrote:
> Hi Lev,

Hi Chris,
 
> With the system as presented in the book, there is less likelihood
> of a skill increasing the higher it gets. This is built into the
> system.

There is less chance of a skill increasing, but there is more chance of
getting an experience check. At low levels, there is a greater
likelihood of getting a skill increase, but less chance of getting an
experience check. At the middle they're about average. Overall it would
seem that the each successful application of a skill has the same chance
(e.g., low = 5% chance of tick + 95% chance of increase, medium = 50%
chance of tick + 50% chance of increase, high = 95% chance of tick + 5%
chance of success).

> for a skill check. So if I increase the combat difficulty as the
> players get better, wouldn't the rate of skill improvement remain
> constant as the PCs get better because they are always facing
> increasingly difficult challenges, instead of decreasing?

... This said, the number of opportunities for an experience check each
scenario is often several; but there is only one opportunity for a
chance of success. So that would, as you say, bias it towards slowing
down the rate of improvement. So yes, in that regard you are correct.
 
> What has your experience been with this - how have you dealt with it?

There are two ways. One is that I simply make such equivalent martial
conflicts less common in the general narrative. As the PCs advance
towards and beyond Runelord/Priest and Shaman status (haven't had a
Magus yet) they become more engrossed in either (a) the politics of the
region (b) the spiritual dimension or (c) most other conflicts are often
walk-overs. 

Effectively they have become the assault troops of their cult and should
be treated as such.

Finally, I have a natural cap in my game of 100% plus characteristic
bonus, which applies to NPCs and PCs equally.

http://rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/2008-September/000290.html


HTH,



Lev




More information about the Runequest mailing list