[Runequest] Character Improvement (was Re: Divine Intervention in RuneQuest)

strobus at sympatico.ca strobus at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 21 00:25:37 EST 2009

Hi Lev,

I've often thought of doing this myself, but I have one reservation (mainly when it comes to combat skills):

With the system as presented in the book, there is less likelihood of a skill increasing the higher it gets. This is built into the system.

When you override the system and give the checks out on GM fiat, you take that automatic balance out and have to compensate for it yourself by reducing the number of skill increases you give to more highly skilled characters. You appear to acheive this by not awarding skill checks to easy combats. That makes sense.

But as a GM I find that I ramp up the combat difficulty as the players get better. When they first started on their quest, they might have fought off six conventional bandits and they thought that was pretty tough. Last week they fought off the Monkey God with his maddening gaze and 50 monkey minions. If I don't ramp up the combats, they will surely feel under-challenged. If I do ramp up the combats, they WILL feel challened, and because of this they also feel justified in asking for a skill check. So if I increase the combat difficulty as the players get better, wouldn't the rate of skill improvement remain constant as the PCs get better because they are always facing increasingly difficult challenges, instead of decreasing?

What has your experience been with this - how have you dealt with it?

All the best,

Chris