[Runequest] Character Improvement (was Re: Divine Intervention in RuneQuest)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Tue Oct 20 19:46:08 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 23:01 +0100, Roger Benham wrote:
> I like the idea of this, given how players can rapidly become a bunch
> of tick hunters anyway.  What are the actual mechanics of it. Lev?  If
> the 123% Runelord faces off against the 27% trollkin, how does it go
> from there?

Hi Roger,

Well, the short answer it's handwaved according to GM fiat.

The long answer, it is determined by the degree of danger and
desperation, the importance to the plot, and the degree of involvement
of the players.

Assuming that the trollkin in the example above doesn't just turn and
run away (a very trollkin thing to do under the circumstances), it is
almost certain they would get a tick, as their life is great peril. The
Runelord on the other hand would not - unless the trollkin, by good
fortune, critted the Runelord three times in quick succession without
the RL landing a hit - then the situation would be very different
indeed. Hopefully the player would be rapt with concern as well.

Overwhelming odds can make a difference as well; usually the single RL
facing a single trollkin would not be a problem. If he is facing ten
such trollkin may be a different matter.

Out of combat or even danger situations I give players ticks for Search,
World Lore (yes, I know this isn't technically allowed), Fast Talk etc
if their success in said action was important in advancing the plot. For
example the character's search a room, one of them finds a rusty old key
and said key opens the chest in the crypt that contains the McGuffin.
The character (and probably the player!) will have a significant memory
of searching the room, and thus will be rewarded with a tick.

Does all that make sense?

All the best,

Lev