[Runequest] Character Improvement (was Re: Divine Intervention in RuneQuest)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Tue Oct 20 07:39:25 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 00:20 +0800, Gary Sturgess wrote:
> 2009/10/20 Phil Hibbs <snarks at gmail.com>:
> We use a slight variation. Still once per week for skill ups and POW
> gain rolls, but you can get two ticks if you special in a skill, and
> three if you critical (non-cumulative). And we have allowed all skills
> to be improved by experience.
>
> This means that PCs potentially gain more skill points, but on the
> other hand you see a little bit less of "right, got my tick with that
> weapon, let's use this one next" since you at least wait until you
> critical before switching. :)
>
> To be honest, though, I think I might prefer a non-random method of
> character improvement.

Ah, the joy of RuneQuest being capable of endless variation and still
the same basic game.

In my game we don't roll for experience gains, but we do roll for the
amount increased.

The make up for what would be a rapid increase in abilities otherwise,
ticks - and POW-gain opportunities - only occur at special stress and
dangerous situations. A Runelord fighting a young trollkin doesn't
count. The trollkin fighting the Runelord does!

Normal day-to-day life only results in normal experience increases (such
as the annual experience gain in RQ3).

There is a degree of realism in this insofar there is a number of
psychological studies that show that people do have a stronger memory of
the high-stress and dangerous periods of their life. They become, as it
were, embedded in the brain.