[Runequest] Mongoose to release a new version of RQ II

Wayne Shaw shaw at caprica.com
Sat Nov 7 03:33:27 EST 2009

>Thing is: if RQ2 were still in print, then this would bother me a lot
>more. But not only isn't this the case, it isn't even the most recent
>"old school" version to go out of print. Now, Mongoose do have some
>crimes to answer for - their apparent refusal to credit playtesters
>and the original authors (though this is something D&D4e did as well -
>a possible trend) - but in the end they put out a version of RuneQuest
>for the 21st century, and way before Chaosium managed to get BRP out.

The problem is you really do create potential confusion in
convesation; I've seen the equivelent in D&D discussions, where the
traditional use of "OD&D" was to refer to the first, digest sized,
boxed edition of the game, whereas somewhere along the way people not
familiar with that started using it to refer to the edition that was
broken out into the Basic/Expert/Etc. books.  I've seen arguments
start because people literally didn't realize they weren't talking
about the same game.

Now this is less likely hear with one of the games current and one
long out of print, but I would put money on the idea it'll still happen.