[Runequest] [SPAM] Re: ***SPAM*** Armour weight/enc

Bjorn Stolen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:20:27 EST 2009

It's tons of sources on marching routines in Roman Legions and in Greek armies, but when dressing up a relatively fit warrior in RQ3, they don't last long if put to the test; that frutstrates me. In one of my Houserules, FP's are unaffected by armor, but movement, agility (SR) is strongly affected by wearing armor. In another of my Houserules, I've kept the FP-minus-modifiers from armor, but I've added somthing I call "Habit-rating", so that a full plate armor fielded for the first time "weighs" more than the full plate armor you have worn and trained with for several years.

There are several points stated lately that I disagree on...

-OK, who fought in "medieval" times, and how was their training?

I'll focus on the periods/cultures I'm good at:

0 - 1000 ad; norway:

Armor found; some helmets, a few mails, loads of huge shields, spears and gladiuses/spatha's
Textiles, allmost exclusively tight fitting woolen garments in the early period, looser woolen garnments in the latter.

Who fought? A small warrior elite, probably seldom exceeding "warband"-size; on occation supplemented with free farmers. At least the farmers would not wear armor for two reasons; A-because they couldn't afford it, B-because they didn't have the time to train with the equipment, and thus would find themselves exhausted pretty fast if fighting with a mail shirt (not to mention mail hose) in combat.

1000 - 1300 ad; northern europe:

-As in the previous period, only the farmers only fight when rebelling, or drafted into temprary armies, and the warrior elite have started increasing the armor; in norwegian manuscripts it's listed what is compulsory minimum armor for a (professional)warrior, and "Textile Panser"+kettlehelmet is minimum armor, and mail is more and more common among the mounted warriors in addition to the "panser". IMHO untrained knights were the exception, not the rule; I depicture the knight vs the drafted peassant in a duel to be somthing like a professional K1-fighter wearing armor against a refugee from Darfur fielding a random farmers-implement and whatever clothing he can wear; the only option the peassant has, is to outnumber the K1-fighter 20 to 1, or to outrun him. Here is where the prolem with the RQ3-rules arise IMO; I find it strange that the Darfurists can retreat for 8 combat-rounds, then stroll in and loot the feinted K1-fighters. (And before you drag in Agincourt, that was later, and I regard the british archers beeing far from conscript peassants, rather seasoned veteran warriors.)

IMHO the RQ3 rules suits the unprofessional soldier; the conscript, or in hot areas like Mesopotamia/medeterrainian climate. I've seen it with moder equipment as well, the norwegian conscript soldiers that are lazy, have bad constitution and no ambition to have an athletic/military career allways complains about the harness, the splint-vest and the helmet, not to mention to keep the rifle in an alert position, when it points towards your sector on patrol, etc. The soldiers that voulenteers for Afghanistan on the other hand makes sure that they are fit to wear their equipment.

Denemark (not a nation traditionally asosiated with warfare the past 200 years) have spent some 5 years in southern Afghanistan, and have done extensive research on their soldiers. They carry on averidge between 20 and 40 kg, and even when in a combat- situation the pulse is never below 100 strikes pr minute, even when lying down; before starting running. Theese people can still fight and operate without fainting after 8 RQ3 combat rounds. In my oppinion, the people wearing armor have trained for it. I can run for far more than 5 minutes in my armor, and I'm no athlet (I ran 3km test on 14 min 14 seconds last spring.) When a nerd and hobby warrior like me can beat the RQ rules (in temperatures below 20*C), I bet you a skilled trained knight would be able to do it.
As for heat -dissipation, plate armor gives a lot of ventilation, it's the padding below (which wasn't that thick when plate was worn on top) that is the killer.