[Runequest] [SPAM] Re: ***SPAM*** Armour weight/enc

Steve Perrin steve at limitedchaos.com
Mon Nov 2 10:35:44 EST 2009

Metal Plate Armor has one characteristic that modern combat gear
doesn't, possibly including modern armor. It doesn't allow any air onto
the body that wasn't already heated up by exertion already. It's not the
weight, it's the circulation. Moslem soldiers in the Crusades did very
fine with light armor. They knew how to build to let some air circulate.
The demo I am referencing was at the 3rd DunDraCon, about 1978. Metal
armor was already pretty common. Most everyone had at least chain or
scale over padding. And that padding is no help to circulation, either.

Sean and his soldier buddies in the early 70s in 'Nam were at the height
of the no armor doctrine in military combat wear. However hot the air
was in the jungle, it was at least circulating past your skin. In armor,
you bake.

Steve