[Runequest] ***SPAM*** Armour weight/enc

Bjorn Stolen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:37:57 EST 2009

I'm one of theese re-enactors that "knew better" than the ones making the RQ3 rules for armor and fatigue...

Actually I see the point of heat exchaustion.

When we(in norway, where we fight in temperatures between -10*C and +31*C) fight, we usually lasts much longer than 1-3 minutes when it's cold, but when it's hot, we really have problems after a while. (We do have rugby/american football as warm-up on shows, and we've done that in +30*c, but sine you don't sprint, wrestle and tackle constantly when playing rugby or fighting, we have no problem doing a 30 minute show in textile armor w. mail and plate on top (as shown in a german manual depicturing duel fighting with pollaxes). When we gather for fighting only (not for tourists, only fighting), we start around 9 in the morning and keeps going until around 6 in the evening, but we have a lot of breaks, and we recover fast when we don't fight (between the battles).

I personally thinks that the armor encumbrance rules are too severe, but that they perhaps are apropriate when in warm settings. IMHO, the rules should reflect more on reactiontimes than on how long it takes to faint, and letting the heat influence "effective" encumbrance available, where armor could be a negative modifier. In the Norwegian army, one of the shooting-exersises requires that you can run 7km in less than 40 minutes in full combat gear and with a backpack. It's hard, personally I don't think I could have done it, but I'm sure that a well fed knight would be able to do the run, provided it's not too hot. -But I'm sure no character would possibly be able to to do that within the original RQ3 rules...