[Runequest] ***SPAM*** Armour weight/enc

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 06:13:08 EST 2009

And Steve that was in the day when SCA armor requirements were "a Helm -
18 guage or better steel" period end of sentence - even before
basketball pads were required. (Yes, the misspelling of gauge is a
deliberate. I'm copying what was written then.) Boy were we dumb then! I
still have pictures of Steve & me from then.

However, I did lead 12 fighters in full transition plate steel armour in
a 9 minute fast run around the swamp & up the backside of the hill
(approximately 7/8s of a mile) at Glen Helen park in 1980?? at the first
Glen Helen War. We smacked so hard into the rear of the Aten army & they
never saw us coming. We took out most of their army. No one It was muggy
& in the high 90's & no one dropped from heat or had problems keeping
up. Of course we weren't on a 14th ce peasants diet either. From
personal experience I did 2-1/2 tours in very hot & humid terrain during
the early 70's & we could hustle our buns (often at a dog trot back to
the extraction point) all day & most of the night long for days on end
without dropping despite carrying gear, weapons & ammo on us. In
comparison Armour is lighter & better distributed weight wise than
modern gear. These are notable exceptions to what most folk can take
that have gotten remarked upon because they were unusual. Steve is quite
correct in on how fatiguing it can get in a fight.

My conclusion, yes there are exceptions to any case, but in general
you'll have a good balanced game sticking by the fatigue rules that
remain generally accurate.