[Runequest] Divine Magic Again

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:01:42 EST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Hibbs, Phil <phil.hibbs at capgemini.com>wrote:

>  Definitely not 18 - I've always played that 1 point of Multispell gives
> you a second copy of the spell, so that would be 9 MP for 2 spells, but a
> strict reading might say that you need 2 points for 2 spells and therefore
> 10 MP in total.
>
> Phil Hibbs.
>
> Thanks Phil,

Really?

That seems like an unreasonable bargain...as long as your multispell % is
decent, why cast a single 10-point "blast of whatever" at someone, when you
can cast 5x 5-point spells for the same cost? (And if the scaling is linear,
get 250% 'bang' for your MP 'buck'?)

In fact, throwing this on a quick spreadsheet, this seems to even MORE
overpower the higher-powered sorcerers - with a 4 point spell, your choices
are either a single "4" or 2x2's for net total damage:MP of 1.0 either way.
But at a 6mp spell, you could cast 3x3s for a max dmg of 9 or 150% of
'value' of the invested MP.  The 10-pt example is above, and it gets even
grosser with more powerful spells...
18 pt (best is 9x9) 450%
30 pt (best is 15x15) for 750%
...not that people are usually tossing 18 or 30 point spells, of course.

I can see offering a 'discount' if the multispells are the identical spells,
but only by an mp or so.  It seems logical to me that EACH spell has to be
powered, but the advantage of the multispell is solely chronological - that
is, you get the effects simultaneously.