[Runequest] Drowning, Falling and Poisoning in RuneQuest

Bjorn Stolen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 08:00:07 EST 2009

As I'm into HEMA, re-enactment, etc, I have had a period in my RQ-life where I tried to "improve" the armor-system. I allways thoght that the result ended up beeing too tedious, and not that much more realistic than the original RQ(3) rules.

I Agree to the fact that most amor/weapon degeneration is subtle and slow, until a hidden crack, etc. results in a critical failure. Perhaps one way would be that every time someone scores a critical hit to your location, the part becomes inoperable, not nessecarily leading to loss of AP, that would depend on the type of armor. A mail would perhaps split and result in the bodypart beeing hampered (+1 sr), a plate could jam, leading to loss of mobility (-X% to all skill rolls), etc, etc.

There is allso the fact that armor operates differently, and different kinds of weapon operates differently on armor, it becomes like an X- Y-diagram, with a thousand different possebilities. Some weapons are designed to damage the armor, whereas a sword is next to useless against plate armor (if two swordmen were to fight eachother in full plate the "fantasy"-way (ie "longplay", it's absolutely possible that both swords would break before any of the armour-parts would)