[Runequest] Drowning, Falling and Poisoning in RuneQuest

Robert Hoffman iquinn at surewest.net
Tue Jul 14 03:34:40 EST 2009

1) We generally played it that special and critical hits would damage armor
sufficiently to lower its overall protection by one point.  Furthermore we
used the fumble of "shield strap / armor breaks" at random locations to
further erode armor over time.  Since both cases were not common occurrences
(and in the case of a critical to the head, for example, a dented helm is
the least of your concerns) it was enough to keep players repairing and
replacing their equipment throughout the years.

2) The rule I recall for natural armor was to simply double the resulting
damage, rather than ignore armor completely.  While from a mathematical
perspective this also caused problematic results in some cases, I preferred
it to ignoring armor.   So my single stick (max damage of 6) against the
12pt dragon scale would still do no damage even with a critical.  For
magical defense I always count that against physical damage, the only way
around that is with counter magic or some other specific magical attacks.