[Runequest] Drowning, Falling and Poisoning in RuneQuest

Wayne Shaw shaw at caprica.com
Tue Jul 14 02:39:04 EST 2009

At 05:41 AM 7/13/2009, you wrote:
>A few random armor questions for folks:
>
>1) I'm curious if anyone has played with the idea of armor damage in
>the same sense as weapons/shields, ie if the AP is exceeded, it
>takes 1 AP off until repaired.  While my players would probably cry,
>I have to admit, it sounds a LOT more realistic over time that
>characters would come out of a hard fight with their armor in
>shambles - such is almost always the description of medieval
>battlefields and survivors, anyway.

Honestly, I don't think the bookkeeping would be worth the result,
and it probably would blow through lighter armor way too fast.

>2) Physical armor, magical armor, natural armor and crits: how do
>you resolve this in your game?  Do you judge that a crit ignores ALL
>armor points (regardless of type) on a location?  Logically I can
>see how a crit would bypass physical armor certainly, natural armor
>probably (there are always eyes, unarmored joints, etc), but magical

Yes.  Honestly, its no more senseless than bypassing other types of
armor without reference to location and specifics.  There are
breastplates, for example, that simply don't have any weakspots when
attacked from the front.  You either power through them, hit them
with a weapon with enough focus to penetrate them (like a pick),
transfer some (but not all energy) or you don't do it.  Crits are
some degree of abstraction, and I don't have any more problem with
them bypassing magical defenses than any other.