[Runequest] Grappling with grapple rules

Sam McConnich rpgstarwizard at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 04:51:16 EST 2009

great info  thanks

________________________________
From: Bjørn Are Stølen <stolenbjorn at hotmail.com>
To: runequest at rpgreview.net
Sent: Sun, December 6, 2009 6:19:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Runequest] Grappling with grapple rules

I'm studying medieval wrestling/grappeling, and it's an integrated part of the medieval fighting-systems (shown in Fiore di Liberi, and most of the german fencing manuals from the 14th and 15th century; Wallenstein, Ringeck, etc). I think your suggestions are quite sound, and if you want to make wrestling as effective as it is, you could add that armor don't apply (or that it only counts for half it's value).

Here are some suggestions from my part:

If you manage to "grapple" the head, you can allso add that you can opt to choke (blocking the arteries on each side of the throat takes only 7 seconds to loose counciousness; I've tried this) -or do full damage to the head the next round (snapping the neck, poking eyes out, smashing the adams-apple, choking, etc)

If you m anage to "grapple" the body, you can let the attacker choose to either get a free throw the next round with the head as default hit-location (most throws shown in medieval wrestling-manuals shows throws where you deck the opponents head into the cobblestones), or to go down with the victim in a traditional BJJ-context, perhaps.

-If you want to be even more effective, you can let the damage to the head be applied the same round as you got the "hit". As a round lasts 10 seconds, I think that can be realistic; When we do submission-wresling, it takes very short time from you get into a good lock and when things starts to hurt. The difficult thing is to get there in the first place.