[Runequest] ***SPAM*** Weapon Damages - technical question

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Sun Dec 6 10:50:18 EST 2009

I wondered about that myself, but I think it's probably a variety of
things, some of them appropriately in-game, and some of them possible
game-balance related.

For one thing, in-game, yes leverage is one thing, but also a longer
spear has more mass and momentum behind it and although in theory both
can penetrate just as deeply,  you have more length to follow through
with a long spear, so on average it will tend to go deeper into the
target, whereas with a short spear going deeper means getting closer to
the angry victim (who may still be trying to hurt you), so you'll tend
to stab and withdraw for another stab.

Out-of-game, it may be a game balance idea as well, that since you do
not have the option of using a spear with a long spear, the trade-off
is somewhat better damage dealing capability.

On 5-Dec-09, at 3:34 PM, Chris Gilmore wrote:

> Here's a technical question for all you who have some experience with
> this:
>
> The damages listed in the RQ3 book are 1D8+1 for a short spear and
> 1D10+1 for a long spear. Is this because the long spear is assumed to
> have a larger head? The damage listed for a 2H short spear is still
> 1D8+1, so it seems that leverage wouldn't have much to do with it.
>
> Also, a dagger does 1D4+2, significantly less damage than a long spear
>
> Other than the length of the shaft providing some additional leverage,
> why would these threee thrusting weapons with (presumably) similar
> sized blades be so different from one another in terms of damage?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because of a project I'm working on. I don't
> have any fighting experience myself, so perhaps there's some nuance
> I'm missing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Den"
> <postmaster at runequest.za.org>

>>> edged
>>> weapons.  Considering the movement of opponents during normal combat