[Runequest] ***SPAM*** Weapon Damages - technical question

Chris Gilmore strobus at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 6 09:34:14 EST 2009

Here's a technical question for all you who have some experience with this:

The damages listed in the RQ3 book are 1D8+1 for a short spear and 1D10+1
for a long spear. Is this because the long spear is assumed to have a larger
head? The damage listed for a 2H short spear is still 1D8+1, so it seems
that leverage wouldn't have much to do with it.

Also, a dagger does 1D4+2, significantly less damage than a long spear

Other than the length of the shaft providing some additional leverage, why
would these threee thrusting weapons with (presumably) similar sized blades
be so different from one another in terms of damage?

The reason I'm asking is because of a project I'm working on. I don't have
any fighting experience myself, so perhaps there's some nuance I'm missing.

Thanks!

Chris