[Runequest] strickranks

Bruce Mason mason.bruce at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 00:12:58 EST 2009

2009/8/11 Styopa <styopa1 at gmail.com>:
> I will say that I realized that (for me) one of the ... complications with
> this is because of the simulationist basis for RQ combat in the first place.
I've been running Mongoose RQ for about 18 months now and I must admit
that I don't miss Strike Ranks at all. While SRs in RQ2 were basically
just a complicated way of figuring initiative they became
overcomplicated in RQ3 and, looking back, it's hard to see any
problems they actually solved. The more you try to model some sort of
notional "real world combat" the less convincing it tends to feel.
I've become quite a fan of painting with a broader brush and letting
imagination fill in the details.