[Runequest] House Rule Question

Steve Perrin steve at limitedchaos.com
Sun Aug 9 04:55:37 EST 2009

Speaking as the inventor of strike ranks, I think they are currently
used to over-control melee. As an initiative system, I think your scheme
makes sense. Scion, from White Wolf, has a similar system without using
poker chips, but there are no "rounds" as such so if you try to use it
without a computer, you're doomed.

My strong suggestion is to dispense with SR, or just go back to RQ I &
II usage and use them to determine who hits first when two fighters run
into each other.

Currently, for SPQR, I just use high DEX for initiative, but since I use
a point-buy system for creating characters, it can make DEX the
uber-characteristic.

The only problem I have with your system is I can't tell who goes first?
Highest number of chips? Lowest price for an action? Who? One thought
would be to have a list of costs for actions, and let people accrue
chips, and perhaps have a Surprise Chips variable award for someone
surprising other characters. Highest total goes first, paying the chip
cost. Then the now-highest goes, who could be the same player. And so
forth. Round lasts until no one has chips or those who have chips say
they are going to save their chips for the next round.

A bit clumsy and there are opportunties for cheating, but if automated
into an action point system controlled on someone's laptop, it might
work rather well.

Steve Perrin, always looking for inspiration