[Runequest] I skimmed OpenQuest and...

Gary Sturgess gazza666 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:18:42 EST 2009

2009/8/5  <royce at efn.org>:
> Greetings, Fellow RQers,
>   I recently skimmed OpenQuest, aka SimpleQuest.  I found an interesting
> point:  accessibility.
>   From my cursory lookthrough, it seems that the author's goal was to
> minimize calculations.  Throughout the pdf, the author repeatedly
> states that any calculation that can be avoided should be, on the
> grounds that it jars the player out of roleplaying.  If I may put words
> in the author's mouth, the simulation gets in the way of the immersion.
>   I never had that problem.

Yeah, interesting. My players and I are fine at math, but we use
spreadsheet programs a lot (they make pretty good character sheets, if
you all have laptops). Never really bothered me, but then again two of
my favourite RPGs are Champions and Traveller, both of which have a
lot more math than RQ.

That said, there is something to be said for minimising it. Depends on
what sort of game you want to have; lots of numbers lends itself to
minmaxing. I don't have a problem with that - I'm a born power gamer -
but I can see where other gamers might prefer things a bit looser.
--
GAZZA