[Runequest] I skimmed OpenQuest and...

royce at efn.org royce at efn.org
Wed Aug 5 15:38:46 EST 2009

Greetings, Fellow RQers,
   I recently skimmed OpenQuest, aka SimpleQuest.  I found an interesting
point:  accessibility.
   From my cursory lookthrough, it seems that the author's goal was to
minimize calculations.  Throughout the pdf, the author repeatedly
states that any calculation that can be avoided should be, on the
grounds that it jars the player out of roleplaying.  If I may put words
in the author's mouth, the simulation gets in the way of the immersion.
   I never had that problem.  But I teach Middle School math (which, for
those of you outside the U.S. educational system, means teaching kids
ages 11-14 material that their overseas counterparts learned a couple
of years earlier).  Back in my high school and college days, I gamed
with people who were good at math.  While strike ranks certainly caused
griping, the rest of the calculations in RuneQuest were burden for us.
In other words, for my group, the math did not get in the way of the
immersive experience of roleplaying.
   But that's hardly true for all of us.
   What do you think?

   Sincerely,