[Runequest] Armor Question in RQ3

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 14:24:25 EST 2009

Doing google searches of images as well as text would lead to common
sense clarifications of your questions & help you understand the
replies. I've tried to provide examples that you can look up. I remember
the days when we had to actually go to libraries & crack a book open to
do research, LOL!

Legionaries wearing the Lorica segmentata would basicly be in a form of
plate (in my personal rating - having made & worn them and comparing it
to the classic Coat of plates which is rated as plate in RQ) covering
the Chest & Abdomen areas. As to the molded cuirass of the Roman General
it was Cuir Bouilli because it was impossible to manufacture that level
of complex curves & decoration in a heavy metal plate at that time. They
could arguably do it in very light metal similar to gold leaf. Even if
they cast it it would be decorative only due to brittleness. (Coor-boo-lee)

The classic Greek armour is the Linothorax which was (this is still
debated since we have no surviving examples) of either hardened leather
(cuir bouilli) or hardened & laquered Linen - hence lino = linen, thorax
= torso) Rate it as Cuir Bouilli.

Here is how I divided it.
A padded cloth or leather coif is the lowest form of protection +1  -
think poor peasant
Soft leather skull cap on top of the padded cloth coif +2
Hardened leather skull cap (leather secret), or leather phrygian helmet
over cloth padded coif +3
Spangenhelm, conical helm, metal secret, or Viking helm with no lower
protection beyond a cloth coif +4 - think common Viking or Norman or Saxon
Norman conical helmet with camaille or over a chainmail coif  with face
covering = chainmaile body armour +5 -think late heavy Norman or Viking
Nobility, or Roundhead, or Polish Winged Hussar or Roman of the period
you're asking about
early Close helm, barrel helm, open bascinet +6 - think Crecy or Greek
(or later periods) Barbutte
Close faced bascinet,  closed barbutte, tilting helm, etc +7 - think
Agincourt, or later

I hope that helps, best of luck.
Sven