[Runequest] [RQIII] Undead Generally - was Humakt's spell: Neutralize Undead

Tony postmaster at runequest.za.org
Thu Apr 23 15:09:52 EST 2009

Gary Sturgess wrote:
> 2009/4/22 Tony <postmaster at runequest.za.org>:
>> Hibbs, Phil wrote:

> Yes, that interpretation does seem valid.
>
> It depends. You could regard the bit about how wraiths are formed as
> "fluff", though. ;)
>
> I read the RQ3 description as saying that wraiths are formed when
> someone dies with hatred (etc), but not necessarily FROM that person.
> I think you could argue that the death itself was what formed the
> wraith; in extreme cases, I think it would even be possible to have a
> ghost and a wraith created from the same death (ghost is the real
> person, wraith is their hatred made manifest, sort of 'fing).
>
> I wish I could find it, but I was pretty sure that there was somewhere
> that defined undead as not having POW.
>
> Meh. Whatever. I like wraiths = undead, but whatever floats yer boat.
> Good arguments for them being not undead have been made as well.

Tony - Hmm, interesting interpretation - i like it. For sure , I also like
wraiths undead, I think thats how most of us traditionally understand
them. Question, maybe a stupid one, but my assumption is that wraiths were
invesnted by Tolkein, which goes to the question why RQ never specified
Wights (Barrow Wights). I think for adventuring, these would be a far more
likley candidate to come acorss, givbem the average delvers interest in
tomb robbing:) then again I suppose one could just swap some stats from a
wraith or ghoul around and have one.

> I'm not sure that the distinction is really particularly important.
> Neither have POW. Although I think, surprisingly, that zombies sort of
> DO have POW (it's just suppressed unless you feed them), which kind of
> contradicts my "no POW = undead" thesis.
>
> As an aside: why would anyone actually create a skeleton in RQ? 6 POW
> for something that is easily destroyed is not a good investment of
> one's soul energy. Yes, there are ways to make this a little better,
> but ONLY a little better. Has anyone found skeleton creation to be
> something that actual PCs found worthwhile?
>
> And zombies have the same problem, but I suppose you could at least
> use those as farmers.

Tony - I also kind of look at skeletons as menial labourers, or ancient
tomb guardians. I once had a wee adventure where the characters inherited
a map or were hired or such (can't recal the details) to go to a place
called Bone Mine. A not so deep underground gold mine where a number of
skeletons toiled endlessly extracting ore, crushing it, smelting it and
casting ingots which they just piled up until another skeleton arrived on
the old underground river (what a cliche) with a barge, and they loaded up
and it dissapeared. Hmm, I also had two mummies fully aromoured in plate
set up to guard/protect a wizards love who was in a magical slumber. That
one (well the magical slumber) I pinched the idea from Poe's Anabel Lee.
My group groaned when I sprouted the poetry, but really groaned as two
fully armoured mummies went through their characters like a hot knife
through butter:)

> Would it not be possible to argue that a Choncon and Hellion were undead?

Tony - Could do, although hellion more a kind of alien force creature.

Cheers
Tony