[Runequest] Primitive Culture

Tony postmaster at runequest.za.org
Mon Apr 20 15:38:21 EST 2009

Hi All

Posted this on my site and the Alternate Earth list as well, so forgive
any duplication. This is from a RQIII perspective, not sure how BRP, RQII
and MRQ handle cultures, I personally always liked the idea.

What is the average take on the tradiitional Primitive Culture, equated in
earth terms?

Being South African, my group often looks toward what the Koi/San Bushmen
were in days gone by - effectively hunter gatherers who slowly moved about
following the wild game heards. Another take , which I may be off track
here, but to our understanding would have been the Picts (both of Ancient
Britain and Hyborian). Not sure what a culture like the Laps two millenia
back would have been considered to be, prob more nomadic?

Anyhow, I was thinking, after just finishing Shelters of Stone by Jean M
Auel, that perhaps a nice take on primitives would be Neanderthals.
Assuming they survived being assimilated/exterminated by the Cro Magnons,
and also that they did continue to advance as well, albeit at a slower
rate or along a different path of priorities, they could be an interesting
take on primitive society, where it would be so much more than just
culture, but a whole different racial thinking and way of life.

I think I may experiment with this as a GM, will post back  here on my
findings.

Tony