[Runequest] RQ3 strike rank question

Peter Johansson pmj at comhem.se
Tue Apr 7 06:50:50 EST 2009

Hi!

I/we always play that people that are engaged in combat strikes
according to strike rank (or Dex if they have the same SR). People
fiddling with other stuff (changing weapons, casting spells, moving etc)
end up striking at the end of the round without us counting every SR
modification. If I as GM deem that it takes longer to move, cast a spell
or whatever I say they can attack next round.

My recommendation is to just use common sense and qualified estimates
what is reasonable under the circumstances. I have yet to have the
players complain too much about my judgment in these matters, because
they know it goes both ways. If they can't move about, cast healing
spells and hit in one round, they know that the NPCs can't either. And,
if that doesn't help, I just invite them to be GM instead and they can
keep exact track of SR for everyone involved in the fight. That usually
stops people muttering... ;-)

Cheers,

    /Peter J