[Runequest] RQ3 strike rank question

Wayne Shaw shaw at caprica.com
Tue Apr 7 02:47:03 EST 2009

>Finally, there's the complication (as mentioned above) of
>integrating movement.  It seems a standard paradigm of most
>initiative systems that someone who moves is penalized (and ends up
>hitting later) compared to someone who stands still.  Is this
>justified or reasonable?

Honestly, I can't see any initiative system that is trying for even a
modicum of realism not factoring this; If you have two characters
already engaged, and a third has to move to join the fight, the
chance the first two will not manage to at least attempt to strike
each other before the third can seems slim.

Some games can sidestep this, but that's because their combat systems
are far more abstract from the get-go than any incarnation of BRP I
know of, let alone RQ.